Consalvo Carelli (Naples, 1818 – Naples, 1900)

Il Golfo di Napoli da Santa Maria del Pianto

("The Gulf of Naples from Santa Maria del Pianto")

Oil on panel - 25 x 45 cm

Signed lower right

The work under consideration, identified by the autograph inscription applied by the artist to the reverse (“Santa Maria del Pianto composanto vecchio napoli”), represents an emblematic manifesto of Consalvo Carelli’s full artistic maturity. Far from being a mere topographical exercise or an epigonic continuation of the Posillipo School (Scuola di Posillipo) founded by his father Raffaele and Anton Sminck van Pitloo, this panel demonstrates how the artist succeeded in transcending pure analytical description to achieve a deeply personal atmospheric synthesis. In contrast to the rapid, impulsive synthesis typical of Giacinto Gigante or the analytical verismo focused on humble subjects championed by Filippo Palizzi, Carelli chooses here a third way: that of "Idealized Truth" (Vero Idealizzato). This approach preserves a rigorous topographical accuracy while purging it of all incidental detail, immersing architecture and nature alike in a light of imperturbable and solemn tranquility.

From a strictly technical standpoint, the choice of a wooden panel support proves decisive for the formal execution of the work. Indeed, the gesso ground on the panel allows the brush to glide without the resistance of canvas weave, enabling the artist to achieve an exceedingly dense surface with a porcelain-like or enamelled finish. It is the very same technique of Flemish lineage that Carelli had perfected during his pivotal stay in Paris (1841–1844)—where he was awarded the gold medal at the Salon—and which earned him the favor of a demanding international clientele, including Tsar Nicholas I of Russia. This paint application, built up of gossamer-thin, impalpable glazes, makes it possible to define architectural volumes with miniaturistic precision while simultaneously orchestrating a delicate aerial perspective in which shadows are never obscured by academic bitumen, but instead emerge as "colored shadows" rendered in tones of azure, violet, and pearl gray.

Iconographically, the painting is distinguished by a bold perspective choice that is exceedingly rare within nineteenth-century vedutismo. Rather than adopting the conventional viewpoint from west to east (from Posillipo toward Vesuvius), Carelli positions himself on the hill of Poggioreale, east of the city, looking back toward the Gulf. The foreground is dominated by the imposing mass of the Church of Santa Maria del Pianto, built above the tragic Grotta degli Sportiglioni (the mass grave of the 1656 plague), bathed in a warm afternoon light that enhances its monumental presence. At the foot of the hill lies the vast Piana del Sebeto, named after the ancient mythological Neapolitan river, depicted as a lush, rural Campania Felix prior to the profound industrial and urban transformations of the twentieth century. In the background, Vesuvius assumes a massive and majestic silhouette, its plume of smoke dispersing harmoniously into a sky streaked with light clouds, softly grading from turquoise to a champagne hue.

Every detail of the composition adheres to a precise structural balance. Below, the vegetal framing is marked by imposing agaves studied from life, rendered with textured brushstrokes rich in Veronese green that create a crisp contrast with the sfumato of the plain below. Along the dirt path hugging the wall of the church, the artist introduces a group of wayfarers and pilgrims rendered with swift, precise dabs of pure color (white, red, ochre), serving to establish the scale against the grandeur of the architecture and the surrounding landscape.

Sealing the collecting value and the attributional certainty of the work is an exhibition and critical pedigree of the highest order. The reverse of the panel bears the original label from the landmark exhibition Filippo Palizzi e il suo Tempo, held at Palazzo D’Avalos in Vasto in 1988 and curated by Prof. Angelo Ricciardi, the foremost authority on nineteenth-century Southern Italian painting. The inclusion of the painting in the official catalogue of the exhibition (under No. 13) and the presence of the Studio d'Arte Ricciardi stamp conclusively attest to its authenticity and historicized status, defining the work not merely as a rare topographical record of a vanished Naples, but as a collector's piece of exceptional scientific and formal significance.